Visit Your Legislator
Congressional Visits Day in Washington, DC
AGU co-sponsors two annual Congressional Visits Days (CVD), providing an opportunity for our members to come to Washington, DC, and meet with their legislators. During the visits, participants discuss the importance of federally funded science research as well as their own research. AGU's next CVD is 11-12 September 2012.
District Visits at Home
You can also show your legislators the value of your science without travelling to Washington, DC. Representatives and Senators are locally accessible during congressional recesses, which is a great opportunity to schedule a meeting to discuss the value of science and the important role it plays in your district. AGU hosts a summer webinar to help our members prepare for local district visits in August, but there are ample opportunities for local visits year-round. You can view the 2012 webinar video below, and see the Resources section below for additional materials.
Contact Your Legislator
- Legislative Action Center
- Meeting with Members of Congress
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- How to Conduct a District Visit and FY13 Budget Update .
- Budget/Debt Ceiling Debate - Template Letter to the Editor
- “Tips for Scientists” by AGU's past Congressional Science Fellow, Maeve Boland
- How to Conduct a Congressional Visit
- Communicating Science
- 2012 U.S. House of Representatives Calendar
- 2012 U.S. Senate Calendar
- “The Uneasy Courtship of Science and Politics” by Timothy Cohen
- “Citizen Scientists” by Jim Burch