Is LANDInG Academy Cohort program free? How much does it cost to participate?
What is the difference between the LANDInG Community of Practice and the LANDInG Academy?
I am not an AGU member. Am I still eligible to participate in the Community of Practice? Can I apply to participate in the LANDInG Academy?
What benefits could I gain from participating?
Community of Practice
How can I register for the LANDInG CoP?
Do I need to be an AGU member to join the LANDInG CoP?
What are LANDInG CoP channels?
What are LANDInG CoP Ambassadors?
Are discussions in CoP channels private?
LANDInG Academy Participation eligibility and applications
How do I apply for LANDInG Academy?
Cohort 2 Applications for LANDInG Academy
LANDInG Academy applications for the 2022-2024 cohort are now open and will close on June 1, 2022.
Click here to apply!
Are non-U.S. residents eligible to participate in LANDING Academy?
What is the size of LANDInG Academy cohorts; i.e., how many participants?
What am I signing up for? Are cohort applicants committed to LANDInG for one-year or two-years?
If selected for the LANDInG Academy cohorts, am I required to travel? Can I complete the cohort program on-line (virtually)?
I am not a geoscientist. Am I eligible to apply to the LANDInG Academy?
Do I need to be an AGU member to apply?
I am a Dean at a Tribal College/Two Year College. Am I eligible to apply
How many times will the AGU LANDInG Academy run?
I am a social justice activist in my city or region, but I haven’t yet begun DEI work at my institution. Am I eligible for AGU LANDInG Academy?
What should be in the letter from my institution?
- Consider your own interests in effecting change to inform and shape your request for resources. For example, are you most interested in changes that support student or faculty success, institutional policy, etc.?
- Consider the types of support most likely to be of value to you in participating in the Academy (including time to attend meetings, participate in activities and complete assignments, develop a project etc.):
- What kinds of support would be necessary and valuable to advance your plan for change?
- How best can your institution support you in your DEI change endeavors? For example:
- Would your institution consider offering an adjustment in effort (e.g., teaching, service or scholarship reduction) to afford your time to participate in Academy meetings/activities and to develop and implement a Broadening Participation Leadership project?
- What fiscal resources would your institution be willing to provide in support of implementing a future project?
- What other resources might your institution commit to support you in proposing and implementing a project (space, event planning, administrative support)?
- How will your institution recognize the value of your participation? For example, will your participation count toward meeting expectations for future promotion or leadership opportunities?
- Will your institution support you in requesting data needed to inform identifying areas of need for enhancing DEI success on your campus?
- Will your institution allow you to communicate your ideas and plans with other stakeholders within and beyond your institution?
- Your institution should recognize the importance of your proposed efforts. Fellows will spend about 50 hours of instructional contact over the two years of LANDInG Academy; additional effort is expected in preparation for meetings, travel, and implementation of projects.
- Be sure to work collaboratively with the person who writes your letter. Clarity and understanding of the institution’s commitment at the start will ensure success down the road.
- Because Academy participants may not yet fully understand their institution’s DEI needs and therefore cannot anticipate the full scope of their proposed projects, we do not expect a fully scoped plan for change. Instead, we ask that you engage in a conversation with your institution’s leadership to gain commitments to your success coupled with minimum commitments they can offer. A general idea of the institution’s commitment is all that is required.