Peer OR self-nomination permitted
Recognizing Original Contributions to the Ocean Sciences
The Maurice Ewing Medal is given annually to one honoree in recognition of significant original contributions to the ocean sciences which includes for the advancement of oceanographic engineering, technology, and instrumentation and/or outstanding service to the marine sciences.
The Ewing Medal is jointly sponsored with the United States Navy and is named in honor of Maurice Ewing, who made significant contributions to deep-sea exploration.
- An engraved medal
- Induction into the AGU College of Fellows (if the honoree has been an AGU member for three consecutive years and is not already a Fellow with exceptions allowed in cases of financial hardship as determined by AGU)
- Recognition at AGU's annual meeting the year the honor is awarded
- Four hotel nights and two tickets to the Honors Banquet at AGU's annual meeting the year the honor is awarded
Criteria for a Successful Nomination
- Significant original contributions to the ocean sciences
- Contributions toward the advancement of oceanographic engineering, technology, and instrumentation, and/or outstanding service to the marine sciences are also considered