Join us for a Congressional Visits Day
Congressional Visits Day
Each year, AGU sponsors Congressional Visits Days (CVDs), which gives our members the opportunity to meet with policymakers, traditionally in Washington, D.C., but now virtually. Attendees participate in a workshop with AGU staff, or a webinar for districts visits, before meeting with members of Congress or their staff to discuss the importance of federally funded scientific research.
If you are interested in learning about any of these events, contact us for more information or use our toolkit to learn about meeting with your member of Congress.
In-Person Congressional Visits Days
Join us in Washington, D.C. this September for Geosciences Congressional Visits Day
This 15-16 September 2022, AGU alongside GSA and SSA, will be hosting a two-day science policy workshop, capped off by Congressional Visits with your legislators. During the workshop you will:
- Meet and hear from policy experts working in Congress and across the federal government
- Network with other scientists interested in science policy
- Learn about current science policy issues and how to talk to legislators
- Meet with your legislators about key science policy issues
This workshop will be in-person only in Washington, D.C. The workshop will begin around 11AM on Thursday, 15 September and conclude at 5 PM on Friday, 16 September. Please email [email protected] with questions.
Apply for Geosciences Congressional Visit Days by 31 July 2022Apply now!
AGU Virtual Advocacy Days
Even from home, you can still make a difference and share your science with policymakers – virtually! Join scientists and educators from across the Earth and space sciences and connect virtually with Members of Congress to discuss critical issues and legislation. AGU Virtual Advocacy Days consist of training from AGU staff and guidance on how to set up your own meetings with your policymakers.
AGU will host advocacy days throughout the year, but you can reach out virtually to your lawmakers anytime.
Learn about AGU Virtual Advocacy Days
Prepare to engage
All registered participants will be emailed resources to help make their virtual meetings a success—from information on researching your Member of Congress, to guidance on scheduling your virtual meetings, and much more. You will also attend an virtual training led by AGU staff, where you will hone your skills and confidence in communicating with policymakers and learn more about the event’s focused issues. A recording of the workshop will be made available for participants.
Send video messages on social
Meet with your legislators virtually
Your virtual meetings with elected officials and staff will coincide with your colleague’s meetings to raise visibility of the issue. Getting exclusive time with your legislators or their staff allows you the opportunity to explain why an issue is important to you, your field and your community. Information on how to schedule the meetings, including an email template, will be included in the event packet.
Write an op-ed or letter to the editor
Other ways to participate
Check back soon for event specific opportunities or visit AGU’s Policy Action Center for current opportunities to engage policymakers virtually!
DEI Virtual Advocacy Days – 15-26 June 2020
Read a recap of our DEI Virtual Advocacy Days on the Bridge Blog. A recording of our virtual training can be found here (part 1)and here (part 2). The training covered of DEI in science, current federal DEI legislation, how to craft your message to your policymakers and tips for successful meetings.
Climate Change Virtual Advocacy Days - 12-16 October
Climate change is one of the most pressing issues of our time. During our virtual advocacy training, we covered several strategies for scientists to confidently reach out to policymakers and make an impact. Scientists heard from experts in climate communication to learn how to connect with any audience on climate change. AGU's Sharing Science program also lead a webinar on how to write an op-ed or letter to the editor.
- AGU Congressional Visits Days bring together scientists and educators from across geosciences disciplines to share the wonder and value of Earth and space science with key legislators.
- Each year AGU co-sponsors a Climate Science Congressional Visits Day to connect legislators with climate experts from their districts, to ensure policymakers receive the best possible climate science information from trusted sources. Climate Science Day 2020 is currently postponed. Check back for updates.
- With a district visit, you can also show your legislators the value of your science during congressional recesses when your policymakers are home in your district. AGU hosts a summer webinar to help you prepare for district visits.
- Every year, AGU co-sponsors Geoscience Congressional Visits Day. Join AGU and other Earth and space science societies as we meet with congressional offices to share critical geoscience information. This event allows ESS scientists to build relationships with policymakers to advance science.