This is a collection of AGU policies for AGU23.
Code of Conduct, Privacy, and Security Policies
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Code of Conduct
Meetings Code of Conduct
AGU is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all meeting participants and AGU staff. All participants are expected to abide by the AGU Meetings Code of Conduct.Read the AGU Code of Conduct
AGU Scientific Integrity & Professional Ethics Policy
AGU members and authors of AGU publications must adhere to the AGU Scientific Integrity and Professional Ethics Policy.Read the AGU Ethics Policy
Privacy and Attendee Data
AGU is committed to protecting your privacy, and we honor your right to make choices about the information you share with us. AGU requests information from those who engage with us to complete business processes such as meeting registration, to improve the communication and sharing of science, to improve programs and websites, and to serve the interests of members, authors, meeting attendees, and others by providing them with relevant information.
We are committed to providing an explanation of what information is required and what is optional, as well as how that information is being used.
AGU does not sell meeting attendee or member contact information
Learn More about the Information we collect
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
AGU Membership Requirements
First authors, including invited authors, must currently belong to AGU or an affiliated society/organization.
NOTE: Under certain circumstances, special membership exceptions may be requested for invited authors who are non-geoscientists. If the first author or invited author is not a current AGU member but is a member of an affiliated society/organization, or is a non-geoscientist, waiver requests must be submitted by 19 July. Please contact the AGU Scientific Program Team with any questions.
Abstract Fee Policy
The abstract submission fee is:
- A required and non-refundable processing fee.
- Separate from membership dues and meeting registration fees.
- Not based on approval of your abstract submission or attendance at the meeting.
The abstract submission fees are:
- Regular submission — $70
- Student submission — $40
- Exception: There are no abstract submission fees for individuals residing in qualifying low-income or lower-middle income countries, as defined by the World Bank.
First Author Policy
First authors can submit up to two contributed abstracts (i.e., non-invited abstracts), as long as the second abstract is submitted to a session led by a different section from the first abstract.
Invited authors can submit up to three abstracts, including one contributed, as long as one is submitted to a session led by a different section from the first abstract.
Scenarios in which a first author could submit two or three abstracts include:
- 1 regular contributed abstract to any session + 1 regular contributed abstract, as long as the additional abstract submission is to a section led by a different section from the first abstract, OR
- 1 regular contributed abstract to any session + 1 invited abstract to any session in any section, OR
- 2 invited abstracts to any session in any section.
- 1 regular contributed abstract to any session + 1 invited abstract to any session + 1 regular contributed abstract, as long as the additional abstract submission is to a session led by a different section from the first abstract, OR
- 2 invited abstracts to any session + 1 regular contributed abstract, as long as the additional abstract submission is in a different section from the first abstract.
* Please note, first authors may submit a second abstract to a session within the same section if it is listed as co-organized with a different section.
Invited Author Policy
Conveners, please note the following:
- Conveners may invite up to two authors to submit abstracts for a session.
- Conveners should invite authors by 19 July to give authors sufficient time to accept the invitation, prepare their abstracts, and submit them. The invitation tool will be available to conveners until the abstract submission deadline on 2 August, however, please note AGU will not accept late submissions.
Invited authors, please note the following:
- Invited authors will get an email from the abstract management platform through the session convener. This email will contain a direct link to start the process of submitting your invited abstract.
- Invited authors must use the provided link to submit their abstract. If the abstract is submitted through any other means, it will not be marked as invited.
- If you mistakenly submitted your abstract as a contributed abstract for the session, please do not withdraw it. Instead, contact AGU's Scientific Program Team to have the status of your abstract changed to invited.
- Please note that being an invited author does not guarantee an oral presentation. The final decision on presentation format (oral, eLightning, or poster) will be made by the Program Committee.
Conveners Submitting Abstracts
- Session conveners may not be the first author or presenting author on an invited abstract in the session they are convening.
- Conveners can be invited authors in other sessions, but not in their own sessions.
- Conveners may submit a contributed abstract to a session they are convening; however, they must be scheduled as a poster presentation. Union, student and early career conveners are exempt from this rule and may schedule oral presentations in their own session.
- Conveners who submit abstracts must pay all fees associated with attending the meeting, including membership fees, abstract submission fees and online or in-person meeting registration (if serving as the presenting author). Conveners who serve as session chairs must pay the online or in-person meeting registration fee to attend. Conveners who are not attending the meeting do not need to pay the meeting registration fee.
Payments, Transfers, & Refunds
All early bird registrations must be accompanied by payment. If payment is not provided, the registration will not be processed, and standard registration rates will apply. The deadline to register at the early bird rate is 2 November (23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT).
Registration Type Adjustment
The AGU Media Relations Office provides complimentary registration to working members of the press for the express purpose of gathering news and information to produce media coverage of AGU meetings.
Press access to the meeting is issued at the discretion of the AGU Media Relations Office and is non-transferable. All registrants must provide credentials regardless of whether they have attended past AGU meetings. If you have questions about these requirements, please contact AGU Media Relations.
Read more on eligibility requirements, photography and recording guidelines.
US Federal Government Employees
Affiliated Societies and Organizations
If you are not a current member of AGU, but you are a member of one of the affiliated societies, you may register at the member rate.
AGU members receive a discounted rate. You may join AGU as a 2023 member for the discounted member registration rate until 2 November (23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT).
Registered attendees may purchase guest passes at $170 USD each. Registered guests may not attend the oral or poster scientific sessions; however, they may visit the Exhibit Hall, attend the Honors Ceremony and all keynote lectures. Guests may also purchase tickets to social events at the advertised rates.
A guest is a spouse, friend, or adult child (18 years and older) who is not working in an Earth and space science-related occupation or field.
A colleague or associate working in a related scientific field or studying Earth and space science may not attend as a guest.